If you are looking for cheaper solution for the web service API management, this list might can help to give some hints.
As far you have distributed or micro web service, you will involve in the how to put all the shared feature into one place for each WS, such security, authentication and auditing. Here I list some free or low cost solution for the API lifecycle management framework and products. When you use amazon AWS or Microsoft Azure cloud, they already supply similar service. For the open source way for small companies who do not want the bundle to a cloud provider, a self-controlled API management solution will give you more flexibility and independence for future migration.
Basically they have either on-premise or as-a-service model to go. With on-premise, means be deployed in either a physical or virtual data center. And as-a-service cloud version will let you integrate with cloud based API management and you can manage it from anywhere.
- WSO2 on-premises – WSO2 API Manager is a 100% open source enterprise-class solution that supports API publishing, lifecycle management, application development, access control, rate limiting and analytics in one cleanly integrated system. Running on java, most database and Apache ActiveMQ. Apache 2.0 license.
- Kong Community Edition – open source with a lot customers base. Kong’s server, based on the widely adopted NGINX HTTP server, which is a reverse proxy processing your clients’ requests to your upstream services. Kong’s datastore, in which the configuration is stored to allow you to horizontally scale Kong nodes. Apache Cassandra and PostgreSQL be used.
- Tyk On-Premises – not open source, Single gateway Tyk Pro licences are FREE forever. Simply install your preferred package FREE for a single gateway, affordable at scale. No need to maintain forks, third party dependencies, or purchase SaaS add-ons. Just download the FREE Open Source API Gateway, get a FREE Tyk dashboard licence, use Tyk commercially… for FREE. No hidden costs, no restrictions on number of users, APIs or analytics retention. The entire platform, under your control, on your own servers. Priced according to the number of gateways in your environment, not the size of your team. Full access to the entire platform, no features held-back, starts from FREE!
- Apiman (not add new feature any more after redhat get the 3scale) – simple to use, install on wildfly ( Elasticsearch) or tomcat 8
- Api Umbleralla – looks like easy to use and install – require MongoDB and Elasticsearch
- gravitee.io – a very new API manager, has the gateway, manange API and portal three parts, required MongoDB to store mandatory data and ElasticSearch (Apache License V2)
- Apigee – acquired by google, not free.
- Apiary free edition – with oracle, API Blueprint is simple and accessible to everybody involved in the API lifecycle. Its syntax is concise yet expressive. API Blueprint is completely open sourced under the MIT license. Its future is transparent and open. API Blueprint doesn’t need a closed work group. Instead it uses the RFC process similar to Rust language or Django Enhancement Proposal RFC processes.